Thursday, October 24, 2013

La Momma Morta


La Momma Morta

I am transported back to 1993; attending frequent memorials, seeing partners bereft in grief concurrently dealing with legal robbery of their property because law doesn’t exist.  Still reeling from the oppression of Reagan who gave no money for research or clinic, and cast isolation and persecution on the afflicted.  I help manning a hotline where familial rejection and ostracism drive many to despair and a few to suicidal leanings.

My work is in a bad period.  I am sad and adrift.

The movie “Philadelphia” is released.

This is a watershed in my community.  Music by Bruce Springstream becomes my anthem in a film that is the first major effort to address the reality of HIV/AIDS.  Tom Hanks portrays a dying lawyer fired from his job because of his disease. Suing for his rights and dignity, he is having a pre-testimony huddle with his lawyer Denzel Washington, who is in a transition from being homophobic. Hanks puts on a recording of the aria “La Momma Morta” from the opera “Andrea Chénier by Umberto Giordano. It is about death. Hanks narrates the libretto for an astounded Washington. Sung by Maria Callas, the music swells. Callas grabs my heart as her voice soars like that of a gull over waves in the ocean.  I think I am hearing an angel.

A voice full of harmony says,
You must live, I am life itself!
Your heaven is in my eyes!
You are not alone.
I shall collect all your tears
I will walk with you and support you!
Smile and hope! I am Love!
Are you surrounded by blood and mire?
I am Divine! I am Oblivion!
I am the God who saves the World
I descend from Heaven and make this Earth
A heaven! Ah!
I am love, love, love." *

Musical ecstasy. I am drained.  The shock after walking into the bright daylight outside after is nothing compared to the impact to my soul.  With new lifelong understanding, I know love binds me to life. 

-Jerry Wendt 2013 329 words

*excerpt from the aria  “La Momma Morta” from the opera “Andrea Chénier by Umberto Giordano

If you would like to see this scene which won Hanks an Academy Award, you may revisit it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b0p9mTJOJI

No comments:

Post a Comment