Tuesday, April 8, 2014

You Just Never Know


 
 
It’s a dark and stormy night.  Lovely.  Wet and steamy warmth enrobes me.  Maybe because I’m sightless (since birth), I don’t care about dark.  Even though also born deaf, I still feel vibrations intensely, maybe even more than you because I have to rely on that sense more. I don’t think of myself as handicapped in the least.

So, thunder is something I can experience. But I have no fear of it.  More so, with lightening, without seeing it, I can sense its vibrations in the air and sometimes even the tingling of electricity.  Stimulating and delightful for me.  My only tremble is one of enjoyment.

My true love is our earth, especially in and after a storm.  The wonderful smells of rich, moist, and loamy soil just enrapture me. In the warmer seasons, the vaporous tendrils rising up off surfaces, lush grasses, leaf layers, and especially the fog are irresistible to me.  You wouldn’t believe the myriad of textures and smells of earth.  The woody roots and bark, the minerality from rocks and minerals, and the deliciousness of feeling warm mud next to your pink soft skin. Ooooooo, nirvana.  I recall that famous Flanders stage piece: “Mud, mud, glorious mud, nothing quite like it for cooling the blood.” It resonates through me like part of my being!  Mud makes for the best spa regimen. You should try it.

My physical challenges are more than offset by my social life.  Although I don’t really need anyone to make my life complete, you might be surprised at how social and active I am. It really doesn’t come from conceit saying this.  My friends very commonly get together and party hearty.  In my particular circle we love to play cards and feel the beat of a thumping background bass drum sets.  Outdoor concerts are my favorite. Sometimes my friends and I stay in and sometimes we go out. We love the nightlife, and will gather and mingle at slightest provocation.

Actually, you’ll never find me lolling on a beach or taking the sun at some exclusive resort.  I burn easily. Besides, the night is fuller of lusty adventure. If I do have one shortcoming it’s that I’m somewhat a slut, and with all this mingling, find myself often very often drawn to any curvaceous body.  A saucy wiggle can send me all a-tingle.  I’m admittedly not the monogamous sort.  But, what the hell, I’m still young.

 Not that I sleep all day like some lazy oaf.  I am very proud of my body. I am shapely if I do say myself, and I work out long periods every single day. I have a very muscular physique.  I pride myself on being sexy and attractive to both genders.

 That brings me back to our dark and stormy revel. Many of us were enjoying this night basking in the lush warmth rising from the ground on this wet glorious summer night. All of a sudden there came a trembling. Not thunder. Not music.  Relentless, stronger and stronger it came. This was something new. Something unrecognized.  Definitely not a good vibration.

Something loomed closer, mechanical and rude.  Not a part of my life. What could it be? We were permeated with puzzlement. There was no time for thought; there was just . . . just a fast tumultuous, horrible action overtaking and inundating us. A russssh parting the rain. In an instant we were trapped, helpless, as tires rolled over us with a finality that ended all. No sounds, no feelings.  No nothing. Now Death.

“The worms crawl in,

the worms crawl out,

the worms play pinochle on your snout ...”*

“When cars go rolling warm stormy nights

they often end a worm’s delights.”**

 

-jerry wendt 2014 640 words

*Attributed to British soldiers in the Crimean War

** addendum by jerry wendt

 

No comments:

Post a Comment