Saturday, April 23, 2016

Of Consequence


Flags flew full staff today. 
Here was no cortege,
nor muffled cannon barrage.
Flowers were omitted,
and no one wept,
for it was a box elder bug
that passed from this realm
in my bathroom
where it sought warmth on my floor.
A flailing of legs,
turning round and round in futility.
slowed to a halt.
A death-held carcass remained in front of me .
But this passing caused me pause,
as bigger part of a grand plan.
 Because I bore witness
and wrote this eulogy,
a commentary of  transition,
this hapless creature
that was not the less of myself,
and belonged as much as I ,
will realize profound legacy:
a life of notable consequence
within these lines.      
                                                                                                                Jerry Wendt 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment