Sunday, May 10, 2020

Finding Black in a White World



Good Golly, Miss Molly, Little Richard done left the building !

 I have history here. Back when Black musicians could only sell to White record buyers by putting their music inside album covers with white folks pictures on them, Little Richard was out there, being big and being Black.  During the 1950's, in my suburban Illinois town, Black music and Black musicians were unheard of ; that is, all except with my friend Lorraine. Lorraine Berk was shunned and ostracized . But she was feared and respected because "Frenchy," as she was known as in our crowd, wore leather , had her hair greased back into a pony tail and smoked. She gave all appearances as tough .Then , gals and guys like here were called "hoods,"   As in hoodlum.

 Frenchy and I were friends . At first reluctantly, because I was nerdy and in with the drama (actor) crowd at school and Lorraine was a rocker chick through and through.  But our Mom's were long time pals , so Frenchy and I were thrown together to go to the movies when our Mom's visited.  We became friends as we realized we were both common to rejection. I learned Lorraine was just a kid like me, trying to find our way. She had a big heart and she took to me in a protective way.  Others would not mess with me, cause Frenchy carried a blade and she could use it.  So we were pals . To this day I can point out a certain row and seat in the old Lake Theater  (now a legit live venue called Raue Center for the Performing Arts) where "Frenchy" is carved into the side arm still existing some 60 some years later.  Anyway Lorraine was musically w-a-y ahead of the times.

One summer day Her Mom came to My house to visit Mom, and brought Lorraine along.   We had a large portable backyard swimming pool , but Frenchy did NOT affect a swim suit, so instead she suggested we listen to 45's she had brought with in a case.  I had a small plug in portable player so we sat on the back porch to play records.  It was there I learned about and became enthralled with  Black Music. I will never forget that day. Lorraine put on a song called "Personality" by Lloyd Price. Oh, Sweet Jesus, it was sooo cool.  Next, Lorraine puts on Fats Domino. "Whole Lot of Loving.”  This music I had no idea existed. Mainstream was all White.

 And then, it was "Tutti Fruitti,"  and I was gone and hooked forever.  I can't recall after that, when I saw Little Richard actually perform on TV, but when I saw him my attraction took the quantam leap.  "This guy is Queer," I knew in my heart of hearts. Oh, the magazines and even Richard himself all gave his denials, but that eyeliner, those flamboyant costumes, and that demeanor, connected to what I knew about myself , but also didn't admit either until a long after. But that summer day  with Frenchy started a new path and Black Music became a part of my history.   To hear of his death (by cancer at 87)  saddens me, as he really was a "wake-up" in my life.  Frenchy, Black music and Little Richard are part of my-  yes I do call it that- my soul.

Richard Wayne Penniman (December 5, 1932 – May 9, 2020), R.I.P, Little Richard




No comments:

Post a Comment