Monday, June 1, 2020

One Night By A Koi Pond

The Koi Ponds at Honolulu Pagoda Hotel



Jim Bailey as Judy Garland


 

1974  Hawaii.  Staying at the lovely "grand  old  lady "The Royal Hawaiian Hotel,  iconic pink palace with a lush gardens all around in defiance to the close quarters from encroaching hi- rise luxury hotels. Staying in the old section that I loved-  louvered windows captured sweet breezes off Waikiki beach outside while double doors enclosed a space you put your shoes in overnight so they could be shined for you and placed back with the paper the following morning.   Out front evenings,  busy Kalakaua Avenue became a center of music and Mai-Tai soaked entertainment . Right across the street from the Royal was The International Market Place, home of "Duke's " nightclub, permanently hosting the "Don Ho Show," he being the local legend, singer of "Tiny Bubbles.” 






But my destination was not in that complex. I stopped at the lei stands out front of the hotel, about to close up for the evening, offering their fragrant Plumeria, White Ginger, Pikake and Orchid lees on clearance. I got five of my favorites for a buck apiece and walked about 5 blocks to Kalaimoku and than a block over to Kuhio. There, in the heart of Waikiki was a block square fenced-in area under an old spreading Banyan Tree containing the largest gay bar in Hawaii- “Huila’s Bar and Lei Stand”   The music had beat ,playing loud enough it could be heard on the street attracting tourists and locals.  Many saw the club was gay and left, but many stayed joining in the sound and light in open air making it a diverse crowd.  I enjoyed it.  It was there a fellow who sized me up and we struck up conversation .  There was a saying back then ; “drop your beads,” that meant you made inference to being gay to another person   so both knew there were “possibilities,” or, at least a kindred spirit.   “Beads fell” but It was soon apparent to me that this was not going to be anything more than a conversation .  The fellow did tell me I needed to get myself over to The Pagoda Hotel where the lounge there was featuring this young entertainer doing a really neat impersonation of Judy Garland. 

The next evening I taxied over to the Pagoda Hotel, an out-of-the way hotel near the Ala Moana Shopping Center in Central Honolulu.  The hotel main attraction was a series of lush Koi ponds, and a popular cabaret.  A young, early in career Jim Bailey (about 35 then) was in a 5 week stint at the hotel along with opening act, Kip Addotta, who was  beginning his own career in stand up comedy ( He was 30 then, like me)   Cover was only $20 with a 2 drink minimum.  It was a surprisingly nice place.  

Addotta did about 30 minutes in a staccato Shecky Green manner .  He wasn’t that comfortable with himself at that time, though he soon was opening for major talent in Las Vegas.  I wanted time to reflect on his stories but he paced so rapidly he was already into another before my laugh welled up .   It was pleasant, but over my second gin and tonic,  I was hoping that Hula’s encounter hadn’t led me astray.  I didn’t know at that time, but Bailey had already been introduced to the country with an appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1970  He did have following already.  He had been opening for major talent in Las Vegas, and by now had started becoming the opening act at The Flamingo and Thunderbird.  His fame wasn’t yet such that this room was packed , but it was well attended with a youthful upscale crowd.


The live combo struck up “The Man That Got Away” and curtains parted to reveal “Judy Garland,”  A startling ,absolutely spot on ,“JUDY GARLAND,” radiant and smart in a short hip topper; red green and blue sequined jacket over black pencil skirt, smoke stockings,  and patent pumps.  That voice !   Blew me away.  It was, to me, watching Judy Garland live.  I cannot adequately tell you how lost in that show I was.  As the Garland songbook wafted on, I was mesmerized.  At a bit over an hour, there was a finale . I cannot recall the song, but I do recall her return for an encore of “Over the Rainbow.” Wow.  Sustained standing ovation.  House lights up.  I sat down.  I did NOT want that to be over and just leave .  I walked around outside smoking by the Koi Ponds, before having the doorman hail a cab back to Waikiki.  Drained,  but so happy to have had  this experience

The next day I called the Pagoda at 11 when the box office started accepting reservations.  I wanted to; no, I was GOING to go again.  But I was crushed as I found Bailey alternated nights doing Garland with other shows doing Barbra Streisand and Phyllis Diller on altercating nights.  He would not reprise Garland until three days later. My flight home was in two .  I would not see him again.

Jim Bailey went on to become a major star, first , as opening act for the likes of Diana Ross, and Dean Martin and then as his own headliner at Vegas hotels like Caesars Palace, The Desert Inn, The Sands, Harrah's, and The Dunes.  He became  A European sensation at the London Palladium and played Carnegie Hall 9 times in his career.  Bailey became friends with the people he impersonated; Diller and Streisand.  He entertained the Queen and was acclaimed iconic entertainer of this time by the L.A. Times.  As late as 2009, he honored the 40th anniversary of Garland’s death with a performance, ( He had been a personal friend of hers until her death in 1969) and he continued doing AIDS benefits throughout all  his remaining  life.

Jim Bailey died in California at 77, On May 30th  2015 of a heart attack brought on by pneumonia.  He wanted to be remembered not as a female impersonator but as an “illusionist,” because he sang all  songs in his own voice emulating the style of his illusions.  Many who knew him would relate that when Bailey was in his illusion, even backstage he WAS his illusioned person.  You were not addressing Jim Bailey but you were talking and being with Judy Garland, or Peggy Lee, or Phyllis Diller, or Barbra Streisnad , or later, even Bette Davis.   He even affected their personalities off stage. 

As I sit here on the 5th anniversary of his death listening to Jim sing ”The Man That Got Away” in 1970 , I find comfort and consolation that, because of a serenditpitous encounter in a Honolulu gay bar in 1974, I fell into a night that would become a highlight in my life .  This up-close enchanting evening was spent with a contemporary in midst of path to enchant the world with his astounding illusion of another icon, the great Judy Garland.  

That night I was not only seeing the early development of this man’s talent, But I feel that I was also seeing Judy Garland live and in person. 

Thank-you Jim Bailey, you enriched my life.  I so remember.








No comments:

Post a Comment