Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Cafe


Café

 





 

"Café"
original oil by Henry Parker-Browning
used with permission
I visited my favorite Café today.                                                             

No one was yet there

except the sun,

 throwing happy shadows all over my corner

where sienna wall joins bright crispy-clear window to therewhere.

Sturdy aged butternut table holds counsel

for two stalwart chairs,

faded brick and concrete,

mismatched, like us,

but together

in our tableau of

timeworn architecture

set with a full, fresh cup of coffee

always at the ready;

an oasis for thirsty old souls

sharing some ground

for comfort of friendship.

-Jerry Wendt 2014
 

1 comment:

  1. My friend Henry, who was classically trained in art at the School of the Art Institute in Chicago and Harrington School of Design, went back to his art after a successful career in interior design when he moved west to San Diego later in life. There he has become a well known artist with many many works in varying style. I have one of his abstract works in my home and I love it. But I still have special place for his painting "Café" that was one of his early pieces. Henry is attached to it as well, reserving it unsold for his private collection. I revisited it recently on his website and found it as enchanting and evocative as always. It inspired this poem and Henry gave me permission to share it with you here along with my poem.

    ReplyDelete