Saturday, July 20, 2013

First Try at an Italian Sonnet


The Italian sonnet is divided into two sections by two different groups of rhyming sounds. The first 8 lines is called the octave and rhymes:

a b b a a b b a

The remaining 6 lines is called the sestet and can have either two or three rhyming sounds, arranged in a variety of ways:

c d c d c d
c d d c d c
c d e c d e
c d e c e d
c d c e d c

 

No Rationale in Love- a sonnet


My feet don’t fail marked trail they find,

but eyes not so clear so veiled in mist.

My being is lame made slave by our tryst.

Hobbled by dreams to lurch forward blind

just beggar looking for a measure of kind.

Something with meaning to hold worthy exist.

Running headstrong to heart I surely desist

in cutting the schakels that hold us entwined.

 

How does this thing hold  me so strong

that reason packs bag and leaves my life?

My order of things so often so wrong

I long for the time with spirit so blithe,

so ordered, so rationed, so long

But here I do stand so happy in strife.

-jerry wendt 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment