Friday, July 19, 2013

Mr Oliver


Mr. Oliver     by Jerome Wendt

 

In studied dress for part to play

On Sundays sunny summer day

 

I go to Stonegate Park.

 

And there upon protected knees

Among the Oak (and other trees)

Minding eye for snakes and bees

 

I commune with nature.

 

While along the fragrant balustrade

Side fountain where the children wade

As clouded sun lets shadows fade

 

I am renewed.

 

With summers reassurance here

Leaves green and clean, no pricks to fear

And backdrop for a picture dear

 

I feel alive.

 

Not daring to betray this trust

To fill the cycle dust to dust

With each succeeding day I must

Return:

 

Among the Oak (and other trees)

And minding eye for snakes and bees

Upon my sodden bended knees

In blowing dust and winter freeze

To beg, in final desperation;  please

 

Tell me I am alive.
 
(Previously published in "Voices 2010" )  Originally written in 1986

No comments:

Post a Comment